In December, after much contemplation and debate with my inner self, I decided to get my hair permed. With this, I thought that I would save up on time preparing and getting my hair fixed because permed hair should just be---you know---whatever!
I was wrong.
Having permed hair is a lot of work! If you don't set it, your hair will be all over the place, all ugly and without form. If you set it, you have to make sure you do it right: hair should not be totally wet, just damp (the right kind of damp, if I may add); and hair should not be entirely dry as well. At first, I tried using mousse, as advised on beauty vlogs on YouTube. But mousse just made my hair dry and more brittle. I noticed that I couldn't manage it effectively. So I switched to using hair polish and setting gel---both failures too.
Then the Lord must have heard my prayers and sent me the answer one fine afternoon. I was at Watsons in JY Square, looking for the usual mousse that I used (I decided to go back to mousse). I couldn't find it so I approached the saleslady and asked where I could find the product I was looking for. She said they were out of stock and that I might be interested in another product. She held up that plastic bottle of white and pink and told me that it was their best-seller for those with permed hair or those who had curls: Monea Curl Defining Milk.
|Best for curlies!|
I quickly inspected the bottle and decided that I would go ahead and try it out. The packaging was simple, and the saleslady told me it was unscented. I always try to go for unscented after-bath hair products because I usually shampoo with fragrant products, and I don't want the scents to clash. I was disappointed when I opened the bottle that it had a really strong scent; well, at least not the kind that smells like medicine of chemicals though.
What I like about the product:
- Affordable (retail price is Php99!)
- Offers strong hold for curls (I can last a whole day without having to retouch)
- Gives a natural look and feel to hair (no clumping whatsoever)
- Comes in a tightly sealed plastic bottle (you can carry it around in your bag; "break"-free)
- Expiration dates are printed on each bottle.
What I don't like about the product:
- Heavily scented (I don't like it when my hair products' scents clash)
- Greasy and goo-ey feel on the hands after application
- When you are near the bottom of the bottle, it's difficult to get the product out (might be better if it were placed in a tube of cannister of some sort)
- Too much will make hair look and feel brittle
|Look! Expiry dates!|
Since I started using Monea, my hair has looked quite legit.
You can find the Monea Curl Defining Milk in Watsons outlets. They're a little difficult to find though, so it's always best to stock up on these babies!